2012 KGSP has opened! Anyone who wants to pursue Master/Doctor Degree can participate in this program. I have downloaded the guideline but unfortunately I can’t copy all the things here. For Indonesia: Embassy Quotas: 2 & Designated Univ Quotas: 4. You can choose 51 universities to be attended.
– 1st Selection: Each 1st selection institution will draft a selections standard based on the criteria provisioned by NIIED, and recommend the best applicants according to its respective standards.
– 2nd Selection: The NIIED Selection Committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection institutions.
– 3rd Selection: Only the candidates who were recommended by a Korean embassy and passed the 2nd selection successfully will be evaluated for admission by the 3 universities to which they applied; each candidate has to gain admission from at least one university.
* Applicants who were recommended by a designated university will automatically be granted admission to said university that recommended them, upon the condition they are selected as a successful candidate in the 2nd Selection. Subsequently, once they pass the mandatory medical examination, they will join the ranks of the final successful candidates.
Duration of Scholarship
o Master’s (01.09.2012 ~ 31.08.2015) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
o Doctoral (01.09.2012 ~ 31.08.2016) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
* (Important) After the Korean language course, the scholarship period of degree course (2 years of master’s or 3 years of doctoral) cannot be extended beyond the designated duration.
* In the case that a scholar possesses a TOPIK Level that is higher than 5, he or she is exempted from the Korean language course; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2 years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral).
o The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
o Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time.
* Applicants must submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and then submit an Official Medical Examination Report issued in a hospital to NIIED after passing the NIIED Selection Committee (the 2nd Selection). A serious illness reflected in the examination results will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship.
* NOT Eligible : those who are pregnant
o Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2012 (born after Sep. 1st, 1972).
o Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of September 1, 2012.
* (Important) Applicants who have ever enrolled in a university in Korea will be disqualified from applying to the KGSP program. Specifically, an applicant who has previously enrolled in an undergraduate program, a master’s program, or a doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program.
However, a KGSP scholar who has graduated or will graduate from a Korean university as of August 31st, 2012 can apply for this program again only via the embassy if only he/she holds at least TOPIK Level 4 and obtain another recommendation within the allotment from the Korean Embassy of his/her respective country of origin (re-application is limited to one instance).
* Applicants who apply for the Master’s program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor’s degree.
* Applicants who apply for the Doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
* Applicants who are expecting to obtain the relevant required degree or diploma by August 31st, 2012 must submit a certificate of degree or diploma expectation, and submit the official certificate of degree or diploma to NIIED by August 31st, 2012.
o Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution. If an applicant does not satisfy the above GPA criteria, he/she will be disqualified from applying to this program.
* If the transcript is not indicated in grades/marks/scores format, or is difficult to convert into percentages, attachment of official explanation from the attended institution is required.
o Applicants who have Korean proficiency or English proficiency may be given preference.
o Applicants who apply for natural science and technology program may be given preference.
o Scholarship Period : same as the period of invitation.
-Airfare : Round-trip economy class ticket.
* Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who already presently live in Korea for academic study or employment.
* The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided.
* Scholars from China and the Czech Republic will not be provided airfare by NIIED, but by their country of origin according to the mutual agreements.
-Monthly Allowance : 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
-Research Allowance : 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester.
-Relocation (Settlement) Allowance : 200,000 won upon arrival
-Language Training Fee : Full coverage
-Tuitions : All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is paid by
-Dissertation Printing Costs : 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
-Medical Insurance : 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
-Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
– NIIED does not compensate fees for the domestic travel both in the grantee’s country and Korea.
– Airfare for entry into Korea will not be provided to a scholar that has been staying in Korea for his or her study, work, etc. as of the date of announcement of successful candidates
– NIIED does not compensate fees for insurance for traveling to and from Korea.
– The medical fee is to be reimbursed through the insurance company to the scholar after s/he pays first. However, the expense for dental clinic or chronic disease will not be covered.
– Any scholar who gives up his/her study during the scholarship period will not receive airfare and allowance for repatriation.
– Any scholar that quits the program within 3 months after s/he entering Korea, should refund allscholarship fees (The airfare of arriving Korea, settlement allowance, monthly stipend, Korean language training expenses, etc.).
Selection Procedure Details
o The guideline, application form, and university information will be available at the website of GKS http://www.gks.go.kr or http://www.niied.go.kr , Korean Embassies, and designated domestic universities.
See you guys! Annyeonghaseyo 🙂